Friday, July 16, 2010

How to write a blog

Ok, so why do I not write anything here? I am sort of stuck.

I was having a conversation with the editor who gave me my first job in newspapers 20 years ago. She is one of the nicest people I know, and I was thrilled to get to work with her again. She is now the exec editor of a magazine and was out in LA to interview the subjects and so I drove up to shoot the story for her and we got to talk after the shoot over a couple of drinks.

Blogging and tweeting requires having something to say. I am fortunate in that I have a life that I find interesting and I get to do a lot of interesting stuff in the course of my work, but I always have to wonder if that translates into anything that other people want to read.

I also am committed to being Christ-like in my approach to what I write and how I live my life. I have, of course, not attained Christ-like status by any stretch. But I believe in going by the golden rule approach of writing this, which is not writing anything that I wouldn't want someone else to write about me.

That is not to say that I haven't written anything negative or that points a finger, or that I won't in the future, but that I want to be fair in doing so. I might talk about the problem, or the perpetrator, but only in a way, hopefully, that points to a solution... no talk of all hope is lost or that anyone is beyond redemption (which they are not.)

Oh well, go back about your important business now... I'm done rambling

No comments: